The last couple years I have been travelling with the Osprey kestrel 38L backpack. It is a really well built bag and has always packed enough for any length of travel. I like the sleek design, boot compartment on the bottom, ventilated back piece and compression straps.
Osprey Kestel 38L backpack
This year I am using the 25L Pelican U160 Camera Backpack. This is the most bad ass bag I have ever uncounted. This bag works really well for me as it only allots about half of its space to photo gear, which can be hard to find in a camera bag. It gives me just enough room for my camera gear, 11″ tablet, clothes and toiletries.
Pelican U160 Camera Backpack
This is my basic travel kit for when I will be on the road for at least one week. I have doubled up on some of my favorite items here for the long trip.
This is my mid sized backpacker photography kit. I usually carry a Canon 100mm L Macro lens and tripod, but they add to much weight and space to my 1 bag backpacking set up.
- Canon 5D Mark 3 + Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART
- Canon 16-35mm 2.8L
- Sony Xperia Z1
- Polarizing filter for 16-35mm lens.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with keyboard.
- SD cards + waterproof case.
- Canon Minimalist sized flash for 5D Mark iii.
- Lacie 1TB rugged hard drive.
- Sony RX-100 Mark 3.
- Spare batteries for 5D
- 1/8″ audio cable and HDMI
- Spare batteries for Sony camera and flash
- Battery pack
- Lens Pen for cleaning glass
- USB dock
- USB flashlight